The sun is shining in Blighty and the barbecues are out, but it’s not just the sausages that are sizzling. Someone’s temper is reaching boiling point because…..
1. The woman buys the food.
2. The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables and makes dessert.
3. The woman prepares the meat for cooking and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill, beer in hand.
Here comes the important part:
4. THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE BBQ
5. The woman goes inside to organise the plates and cutlery.
6. The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer, while he deals with the situation.
7. THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE BBQ AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN
8. The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces and brings them to the table.
9. After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.
10. Everyone PRAISES THE MAN AND THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.
11. The man asks the woman how she enjoyed ‘her day off’. And, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there’s just no pleasing some women.
In my seminars, I often ask how many people feel over appreciated and how many people feel under appreciated. Out of the thousands of people that I’ve spoken to, not one person has ever raised their hand to the former, but hundreds have raised their hand to the latter.
As the psychologist William James said, “The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated.”
Is there anyone you know, who deserves to know that they’re appreciated?
School exams and reports.
1. Exam question: “Use the word diploma in a sentence”.
Pupil: “Our pipes were leaking, so my dad called diploma.”
2. Teacher: “Who can tell me where Hadrian’s Wall is?”
Pupil:”I expect it’s around Hadrian’s garden!”
3. Biology teacher: “What happens when the human body is immersed in water?”
Student: “The telephone rings”
4. Teacher: “What does the 1286BC inscription on the mummy’s tomb indicate?”
Pupil: “Is it the registration number of the car that ran over him?”
5. Teacher: “Where’s the English Channel?”
Pupil: “I don’t know. My TV doesn’t pick it up.”
6. Angry father: “Just look at this report card! Your friend John doesn’t come home with C’s and D’s on his report card!”
Son: “No. But he’s different. He’s got really smart parents”
7. “I was thrown out of university in my first year. I cheated in the metaphysics exam. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me.” – Woody Allen.