Coco Chanel lived a truly spectacular life. As well as creating one of the most iconic fashion brands in history, Chanel was an ardent advocate of gender equality and freedom of expression.
The forward-thinking designer – née Gabrielle (Coco was her nickname) – was raised in an orphanage where the nuns taught her how to sew, and started her career as a singer in Paris cafes before eventually turning to design.
Her personal life had its twists and turns as did her fashion label. During World War II Chanel was forced to close the business and only re-entered the world of fashion in 1954 when she was 71 years old, because she was bored by the fashion of the time.
Above all else, Chanel was irresistibly bold throughout her life.
Here are ten of her best quotes:
- If you’re sad, add more lipstick and attack.
- I don’t care what you think about me. I don’t think about you at all.
- The most courageous act is to think for yourself.
- Elegance is when the inside is as beautiful as the outside.
- A girl should be two things. Who and what she wants.
- Keep your heels, head and standards high.
- Beauty begins the moment you start to think for yourself.
- How many cares one loses when one decides to be not something, but someone.
- I don’t do fashion. I am fashion. The bags under my eyes are Chanel.
- Be with someone who ruins your lipstick and not your mascara.
– Red sky at night, sheds on fire.
Red sky in the morning, sheds still on fire.
– A duck is waiting to cross a busy road.
A chicken walks up to him and says, “Don’t do it, man. You’ll never hear the end of it.”
– Why did the cows return to the Marijuana field?
It was the pot calling the cattle back.
Live big & love deep.
Moving minds l Transforming performance